Donnerstag, 21. Januar 2016

Door exchange

The original drivers door had a real bad damage just below the window:



Maybe someone tried to break in, anyhow this wouldn't be an easy repair, so I searched for another, used door. A few days ago I found a driver door and a nice Targa top (the one on my car is also far from nice), so I organized a transport - special thanks to Mirko - and now I have to exchange every nut and bolt, clip and cable from one door to the other. During the disassembly I also found out why the power mirrors didn't work:


Some genius cut the electrical connections off - my guess is that the body shop which repainted the car wasn't able to remove the mirrors as Porsche designed it ( which involves unpinning the contacts from the connector plug), so they just cut it off!
I wouldn't accept that the mirrors don't work after  a re-paint!

The screw which attaches the mirror to the door was knackered, so I had to drill the head off. The remains were rusted solid to the thread...

A pair of grip pliers and some WD40 later the screw is history!

During the exchange I directly install the Power windows which came with the car. Original mechanisms and switches. The cable harness already has all the connectors attached - which make the job a lot easier!
switch plug:


motor plug:

On the driver door I had some bad luck, this is what the harness looked like:
... some cables, but no connector housing...

this is what I found on the bottom of the door:

So, the next time you will no longer see the window winder crank, and the blank spaces will be filled with 2 switches!

Oh, and I used the first original VW beetle part on the Porsche... You can see it in this picture:

I replaced the rubber seal on the door ajar switch

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen