Donnerstag, 15. September 2016

rear hatch window, continued...

It took me some time before I finally took the challenge of re-gluing the rear window to the frame. After spending countless hours reading forum articles about delamination and the ways to fix it, the best way to put the 2 bits together is by attaching the frame to the vehicle and put the glass onto the assembled frame.

The frame was cleaned, repainted and primered with Sika primer 206 g+p. The screen itself also got the edge primered (about 2cm all around)



To avoid any globs of adhesive in the trunk, I covered the area under the installed frame:



Here you can see the painted frame and primered edge:



and the glass, finally back where it belongs:



I used the Sika Tack drive kit, but the amount of primer which comes with the kit is a joke, so I bought an additional 30 ml bottle of primer (which is way more than enough for glass + frame)!

I used the application tip which came with the Sika set. It has a leading edge and generates a nice, triangular bead. It was exactly enough to apply the bead around the window. No excess material to fill any gaps.


So I need to fill the visible gap with some "standard" Sika 221 tomorrow. I taped the outsibe leading edge of the screen to remove any excessive amount of glue as easy as possible. On Saturday I will check the adherence. If all the work pays off, it will leave me with a leak free rear window, fingers crossed!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen