Montag, 23. Mai 2016

Changing the timing belt: What can go wrong?

I already found out that the balancer belt is missing on my motor, as there seems to be a problem with one of the balancer shafts bearings.

At least the timing belt should be changed, so - easy as that:
Remove the starter, fix the flywheel,  remove the balancer belt gearwheel, remove the guiding bracket, loose the timing belt tensioner, remove the belt - put on new belt and assemble in reverse order... check and adjust belt tension, done...

When I removed the balancer belt gear, this is what I found: The woodruff key (Passfeder) was totally knackered:
Apparently, somebody used a big hammer to install the wheel...

So, in order to replace the broken part, the timing belt gear wheel had to be removed, too.
The problem is: No 2 -arm or 3-arm extractor tool can be used, there is not enough room.

Some minutes of thinking lead me to the only solution: a special tool had to be made!

This is what I came up with: Start with a piece of 30x60 mm rectangular pipe and remove a half circle, same diameter as the gears:
1. small holes:

2. bigger holes:

3. Use a chisel and grinder to cut off the half circle:

Healthy teeth!

4. the power file will make it look neat:

5. cut a slot, so the outer diameter fits into this slot:

6. slide the tool over the gear and use a small crow bar to pull it off easily!
 Done!
Here is another picture of how the tool is engaged with the shoulder of the gear wheel;:

This is what I found in the gear wheel:


The woodruff key was sheared off!


 The top 0,5 - 1 mm are missing?!

A new one had to be ordered at Porsche, 1,04 € is a decent price.
To remove the old one was a different story, my friend Thomas gave me another self-made tool, and I was finally able to remove it!


Tomorrow I will get the new woodruff key and start to re-assemble everything...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen